Brian Kalinec’s award-winning songwriting combines his early East Texas roots and his years of the Houston urban experience for his own particular view of the world. A native of Beaumont, Texas, Brian picked up the guitar at an early age and began to play dances,restaurants and clubs. Thus began a life spent crafting songs and nuturing songwriters. Brian’s writing resonates with audiences, fellow songwriters, and music lovers alike, as his recognition and concert attendance attest.
Songwriting has always been a passionate drive in Brian's musical life, one for which he has been recognized again and again. A past president of the venerable Houston Songwriters Association, Brian has a long and fruitful association with Texas songwriting. Brian co-produced the annual "Sonny Throckmorton Songwriter's Festival," sponsored by the HSA, in the 90s. He was a featured performer at the 75th anniversary of the discovery of the famed Spindletop gusher in Beaumont. He performed a song he wrote for his daughter Kerri titled "Challenged Child" at the 1980 National Convention of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf.
Brian has been performing steadily for over a dozen years, and has been invited to perform at many famed venues in Texas and across the US, including numerous house concerts, coffeehouses and festivals, notably the Kerrville Folk Festival (2009). In 2010, Brian participated in the "Shoulder to the Stone" project benefitting the Haitian relief effort and was one of the artists on the compilation CD. In addition to songwriting, Brian is also the founder and President of Berkalin Records, a label which has released in addition to his own projects CDs by a number of notable award winning artists, including Matt Harlan, Jeff Talmadge, Bob Cheevers, the late Tim Henderson (whose last CD was produced by Brian), Jim Patton and Sherry Brokus, and George Ensle. Brian’s significant awards and accomplishments include:
- Winner of the 1st Annual Texas Songwriter’s Serenade songwriting contest at Fiddler’s Frolics - 2007
- Music featured on ABC News’ World News Now
- Nominated in the category of “Musician of the Year,” Texas Music Awards - 2008
- Chosen as one of three finalists in the Rose Garden Songwriting Contest in Massachusetts - 2008
- Regional finalist, Kerrville New Folk Competition - 2008
- Finalist, Susanne Millsaps Songwriting Competition/FT (now Snowbird) Festival, Snowbird Resort, UT- 2008
- 2nd Place, Woody Guthrie Song Contest with his song “The Fence” - 2008
- Winner, Big Top Chautauqua Song Contest, WI - 2008
- “Singer/Songwriter of the Year” Nominee—Texas Music Awards - 2009
- Regional Finalist-Southwest in the Mountain Stage Newsong Contest - 2010
- Finalist-Great American Song Contest-Contemporary Acoustic Folk - 2010
- Recipient of Texas Music Awards' "MyTexan" Award for support of MyTexasMusic efforts and the music of their fellow members - 2012
- 2nd Place, CT Folk Festival Songwriting Contest, New Haven, Connecticut - 2012
- Nominated for "Singer/Songwriter of the Year"--Texas Music Awards -2013
Brian’s debut CD Last Man Standing was released on Berkalin Records in 2007; he has recently released a new CD "The Fence" which is garnering good airplay and charting in the US and Europe.